Discover ZagoriaThe tradition of the northwest
Zagoria Motorcycle TourExperience the northwest at its best
The Zagoria motorcycle tour will take you to the northwest of Greece, where you will ride around some of the most beautiful landscapes of the country, reachable by road.
The tour is designed as a 6-day riding experience, suitable for those of you who have never been to the northwest, but at the same time do not have more days available for the extensive experience of our “Central Northwest Greece Tour”.
In order to achieve this, we have made the first day a long one, with enough highway kilometers included. It is a necessary compromise to save time and be able to spend more days to the exploration of the Zagoria area which, in all honesty, cannot be completed in less than 4 days!
Start / Finish
Attractions - What will you see on this tour
- The famous Meteora, a UNESCO world heritage site. The limestone pillars that rise to the sky with the monasteries built on top are a sight to marvel.
- The gorge of Vikos, the 2nd deepest in the world.
- The numerous stone-built, arch shaped bridges of Epirus region, a “trademark” of architecture the northwest
- The numerous stone built traditional villages of Zagoria.
- Voidomatis river, with an option to do some river rafting. Voidomatis has the clearest waters in Europe!
- Site of Delphi, the “navel of the World”, also a UNESCO world heritage site!
Roads - What riding will you do
During the first day we cover an extensive amount on highway, as it is the only way to save time if you want to see Zagoria in so few days. The entire tour runs on paved roads.
For the biggest part of the main course, in and around Zagoria, we will be riding on secondary roads, narrow, with lots of twists and hairpins, with very little traffic. As always, a picture is worth a thousand words, so the following image carousel contains photos from the routes of the tour. Slide/swipe left/right to see all images.
We will pick you up from the airport and take you to your hotel. Late in the evening the group will have a welcome dinner and we will also do some briefing and discuss the tour.
Day 2: Tour commences, ride to Meteora
The group assembles and we leave busy Athens. We cover lots of kilometers on the highway until we reach Kalampaka, the town that is built next to Meteora.
Today we enter the NW territories of Greece. We ride west through lush valeys of Thesaly and we briefly ascent through Tzoumerka to reach the wider region of Zagoria. Endless curves and corners, passing by alpine meadows. The first villages of the Zagoria appear in front of us. We reach our stone-built boutique hotel, at a tranquil site. Time for “meze” and “tsipouro” (local spirit)!
Time to explore the wider region. We will present you with 2 options. The primary option is an eastbound loop ride, taking us through the Valia Calda natural reserve, perhaps the most beautiful forrested landscape of Greece paved & passable by motorized vehicle . The eastbound loop is a long one though, the riding will be completed after a whole day! As a “reward” you will have ridden on a route that some riders say is the best in Greece. The secondary option, if you are feeling less energetic, is to do a westbound loop of the Zagoria region, which is shorter and easier, yet still offers beautiful landscapes and riding.
After 3 days of intensive riding, today is time to take it easy! Few kilometers are in schedule, just to explore neighbouring villages of Zagoria. You will stand in 2 panorama locations to see the Vikos Gorge, the 2nd deepest in the world and admire nature! You will visit the twin villages of Megalo (Big) and Mikro (Little) Papingo located below the great limestone “Towers of Astraka” on the north side of the Vikos Gorge. There, at the village’s natural swimming pool you might want to have a dip and a break! If you are up to it, it will be time for some easy rafting in Voidomatis river, with the clearest waters in Europe. The activity lasts about 2 hours and is offered by professional rafting instructors who accompany you all the way.
As we start heading back, we will ride on touring roads for the entire day. We keep smoother and much easier paces as we cross the plains of Arta and then we finish our day at Nafpaktos. En route you have the chance to visit the lagoons of Messologgi and Aitoliko, the former being the largest Greek wetland, a natural paradise that includes islets, dunes and forested bank.
We follow the coastal road until Itea, from where we ride to Delphi, where you will have a break and a chance (optional) to visit the archeological site, boasting a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Temple of God Apollo, as well as the museum. We end the day by arriving to Athens. We renew our appointment for a few hours later, when we have a farewell diner late in the evening.
Day 8: your flight back home
We suggest that you make arranges for departure on day 8 and not on day 7, so that you will have an easy-going return to the end point of the tour.
|(all prices in euros)||Rider, sharing room||Pillion passenger|
|Single room surcharge||420|
Booking deposit: 450 euros
Outstanding payment : no later than 45 days prior to tour start.
- Minimum participation of 4 riders is required. For a smaller group, the tour can be arranged but at higher prices. Please contact us.
- For a self-guided price quote, please send us an email mentioning the dates of your visit.
September 1 – September 8
September 29 – October 6
What is included in the price & what is not
– 7 breakfasts
– 7 diners, including welcome & farewell diners in Athens.
– Airport transfers to and from Athens on arrival and departure
– Experienced lead guide on a motorcycle, English speaking.
– Support vehicle with driver, for luggage (1 per person) and passengers (limited seats)
– Rental of BMW motorcycle (2016 or 2017 model), fully equipped
– 3rd party liability insurance
– theft coverage and damage coverage for the motorcycle, with insurance excess
– Tour booklet containing maps, information, routes, waypoints, coordinates, contacts etc.
– All taxes
– Fuel & tolls
– Personal daily expenses
– Fees for local musuem/site guides (to archeological sites, museums, outdoors activities). Optional.
– Entrance fees to archeological sites and museums. Optional.
– Cost of any optional side-activities.
– Personal travel insurance.
– Visas (if required)
– Anything else not described as “included”
This tour can be adjusted to fit your preferences!
Add or remove days. See more destinations, or ask for different dates! Perhaps you feel that you don’t need the services of a support car and wish to do the tour without one to lower the cost? For these parameters or anything else you might want to change, contact us!