The Zagoria motorcycle tour will take you to the northwest of Greece, where you will ride around some of the most beautiful landscapes of the country, reachable by road.
The tour is designed as a 6-day riding experience, suitable for those of you who have never been to the northwest, but at the same time do not have more days available for the extensive experience of our 10-day “Central Northwest Greece Tour”.
In order to achieve this, we have made the first day a long one, with enough highway kilometers included. It is a necessary compromise to save time and be able to spend more days to the exploration of the Zagoria area which, in all honesty, cannot be completed in less than 4 days!
This tour is currently offered as a self-guided, or as fully guided but upon a group request of at least 3 riders. More info is given further below in the pricing section.
Start / Finish
5 or 6 riding days (see the options in the itinerary section)
aprox. 1600 kilometers (1000 miles). Shortest day: 105 kilometers. Longest day: 400 kilometers.
Daily average 5-6 hours on the saddle.
A traditional stone-built mountain resort, a luxurious boutique hotel by the seaside, and a luxury hotel.
1oo% paved. Aprox. 40% on touring roads, 45 % challenging roads.
Attractions - What will you see on this tour
- The famous Meteora, a UNESCO world heritage site. The limestone pillars that rise to the sky with the monasteries built on top are a sight to marvel.
- The gorge of Vikos, the 2nd deepest in the world.
- The numerous stone-built, arch shaped bridges of Epirus region, a “trademark” of architecture the northwest
- The numerous stone built traditional villages of Zagoria.
- Voidomatis river, with an option to do some river rafting. Voidomatis has the clearest waters in Europe!
- Site of Delphi, the “navel of the World”, also a UNESCO world heritage site!
Roads - What riding will you do
During the first day we cover an extensive amount on highway, as it is the only way to save time if you want to see Zagoria in so few days. The entire tour runs on paved roads.
For the biggest part of the main course, in and around Zagoria, we will be riding on secondary roads, narrow, with lots of twists and hairpins, with very little traffic. As always, a picture is worth a thousand words, so the following image carousel contains photos from the routes of the tour. Slide/swipe left/right to see all images.
Day 1: Athens – Meteora
As you leave busy Athens you will ride for about one hour on the motorway. You have to cover lots of kilometers on until you reach Kalampaka, the town that is built next to Meteora.
Day 2: Meteora – west Zagoria, 2 or 3 nights in Zagoria
Today we enter the NW territories of Greece. The ride is beautiful with alpine sections and lush locations. Endless curves and corners. The first villages of the Zagoria appear in front of us. We reach our stone-built boutique hotel, at a tranquil site. Time for “meze” and “tsipouro” (local spirit)!
Day 3: Zagoria loop ride
Time to explore this beautiful region. You will do a loop ride, circling the entire west part of the Zagoria area.
You will stand in 2 panorama locations to see the Vikos Gorge, the 2nd deepest in the world and admire nature! You will visit the twin villages of Megalo (Big) and Mikro (Little) Papingo located below the great limestone “Towers of Astraka” on the north side of the Vikos Gorge. There, at the village’s natural swimming pool you might want to have a dip and a break!
Day 4: Rest in Zagoria, or in Ioannina. Options to ride also.
After 3 days of intensive riding, today is time to take it easy! A rest day to see and explore the old historical town of Ioannina. Perhaps you would like to do some outdoor activities (like river rafting for example). For those of you who prefer to ride, there is a route option, bringing you close to the Greek Albanian borders.
Note: this day can be skipped entirely from the itinerary, so you could shorten the entire trip to 5 days in total.
Day 5: Zagoria – Nafpaktos
As we start heading back, we will ride on touring roads for the entire day. We keep smoother and much easier paces as we cross the plains of Arta and then we finish our day at Nafpaktos. En route you have the chance to visit the lagoons of Messologgi and Aitoliko, the former being the largest Greek wetland, a natural paradise that includes islets, dunes and forested bank.
Day 6 : Nafpaktos – Delphi – Athens
We follow the coastal road until Itea, from where we ride to Delphi, where you will have a break and a chance (optional) to visit the archeological site, boasting a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Temple of God Apollo, as well as the museum. We end the day by arriving to Athens.
We suggest that you make arranges for departure on day 8 and not on day 7, so that you will have an easy-going return to the end point of the tour.
|(all prices in euros)||Rider, sharing room||Pillion passenger|
|HONDA CB 500x||1,240||800|
|BMW F 700 GS||1,455||>>|
|BMW F 750 GS||1,540||>>|
|BMW R 1200GS||1,750||>>|
|Single room surcharge||460|
No scheduled dates. This tour is offered as a self-guided tour. It can also be done as guided, upon a group request of at least 3 riders.
Best done during: May to early June, and then September and October.
What is included in the price of the SELF GUIDED tour & what is not
– 5 nights Accommodation in personally hand-picked hotels
– 5 breakfasts
– Airport transfers to and from Athens on arrival and departure.
– Rental of Motorcycle, with side panniers and top case.
– 3rd party liability insurance
– theft coverage and damage coverage for the motorcycle, with insurance excess.
– GPS with pre-loaded routes for every day.
– Paper map with marked routes and tour booklet with information
– Luggage storage in our premises
– 2 helmets, approved for European standards.
– All taxes.
– Accommodation in Athens (but we can arrange it for you if requested)
– Food & drinks
– Fuel & tolls
– Personal daily expenses, tips
– Fines, tickets, parking fees
– Entrance fees for local museums or tourist sites
– There is no tour guide on motorcycle, nor the supporting services of a car.
– Personal travel insurance.
– Visas (if required)
– Anything else not described as “included”
This tour can be adjusted to fit your preferences!
Add or remove days. See more destinations, or ask for different dates! Perhaps you feel that you don’t need the services of a support car and wish to do the tour without one to lower the cost? For these parameters or anything else you might want to change, contact us!